Since 11/09/09 I've been on strict bed rest. I will be on this bed rest until this child arrives in this world. My estimated due date is 03/22/2010. Yeah I'm going to be laying down a long time. I'm only allowed 5 minutes a day to shower. Hot oil treatments are out of the question at this point and time and washing my hair to my liking is not happening. So what does a sister do while on bed rest with her hair?
1. I've reduced the amount of washing of my hair significantly. I wash my hair every two weeks. I essentially use a shower day to saturate my hair with water, apply my shampoo and rinse it out. Usually when I do this, my hair has been detangled prior to getting in the shower.
2. How do I keep my hair detangled? I keep my hair in six huge braids. This serves multiple purposes. It is a good way to keep my hair detangled on a daily basis without actually doing my hair. Once I unbraid my hair, I have an automatic braid out style for when I get to go to the doctor, so I can look decent in public.
3. I keep my hair moisturized with Monoi de Tahiti oil and my shea butter/coconut oil concotion. I rub it into the braids daily or every other day.
4. To help keep my scalp clean between washing, after doing my braid outs and coming back to my cave of a bedroom, I scratch my scalp and rebraid my hair. I spray in water in my hair and apply my Monoi de Tahiti oil. That way I can reduce any build up on my scalp. I oil my scalp with the shea butter/coconut oil concoction so that it doesn't get dried out.
5. For daily protection I keep my hair covered with my L.B. Soc.
So far this has worked well, but it seems now I have more maintenance, and it is very hard to comb and detangle hair while laying down.