Coconut Milk Hair Soak

5:31 AM Posted In , , Edit This 8 Comments »

It has been a while since I washed my hair. Almost a week, which is like an eternity to me, and I figured my hair could use some TLC, especially since it had not literally been detangled in a week. This time I decided to try coconut milk as my deep conditioner. I got this from of course, Mixed Up by Ayesha Fleary aka Najahface. I also found some additional information here, here, and here.

The first thing I do is open up a can of coconut milk. I used Goya coconut milk. I used this milk because it is inexpensive. Looking at most places on the web, most women did not use the whole can, since I have so much hair, I decided to use the whole entire can of coconut milk. I applied it to my dry and dirty hair. I then put a plastic baggy on my head (you can use a cheapo shower cap, but again so much hair doesn't fit into one, which is why I use my TOPAZ shower cap). I then sat around for a few hours. Once thing I noticed is almost immediately that my hair soaked up the milk, not much dripping going on, even using the whole can, my hair must have been really dry. It smells wonderful, if you like the smell of coconut, this will be a pleasant experience, if you do not, be warned, you will smell like a coconut. The application was a little messy, as I worked straight from the can, but not so much so that I couldn't cope. Be sure to put a towel around you when you apply the milk to your head for less of a mess. The plastic baggy is to keep the milk from dripping all over the place when you let it sit for a while on your head. Apparently some folks mix their coconut milk with honey or olive oil or even lime juice. Apparently coconut milk mixed with lime juice can "relax" the curl. I am not sure as that is not my interest, but I will say the coconut milk was great in helping to detangled my neglected hair. So I kept the coconut milk in for three hours to make sure it was able to penetrate my hair. Kind of time consuming, you can do other things around the house, but because of the plastic baggy, you might want to stay at home instead of going out and about.

My hair with coconut milk in it:




My hair after washing out the coconut milk:




My hair dry:





Overall results. It is an ok deep conditioner, but I think I prefer my other deep conditioners. Less time consuming, and they left my hair feeling softer. I also didn't see the relaxing of my curls as reported. I would say this is a great inexpensive way to deep condition, but not the best for my hair. It might work wonders for your hair, everyone is different.

8 comments:

msday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jai said...

I love JBCO(Jamaican Black Castor Oil) I use it on my ends after twisting. One day I'll try it as a hot oil treatment. The shipping and handling is quite pricey but I usually order other things from them(Sam's) as well. If you like spicey foods try the Walkerwoods Jerk Seasoning(a little goes a long way).

Get Togetha said...

Who would've thought...coconut milk? I am so ignorant on how to take care of my hair...

agdowns said...

It is now 2011, a friend of mine told me to try coconut milk for my daughter's thirsty hair. Her hair type is what I call a 4e. The curls are extremely tight that you can't see a curl pattern unless you are up close and personal. I took out her coils and her hair was very frizzy. The normal moisture products I applied didn't do much for the frizz. the coconut milk I used was a asian brand. I soaked the can because the coconut milk was condensed. After melting I poured it into a spray bottle. I started spraying it onto her hair and immediately her curls defined. Her hair soaked up the milk and became soft and manageable. Not wet like if I applied water, but soft and moist. For the first time since being natural her hair had bounce and it shook. Once it dried I applied a little coconut milk moisturizer for a little shine. This has become a staple for keeping my daughte's tight kinky curls, defined and manageable. I'm sold!!!!It's taken a year long and lots of $$$$$ on different products.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful tip about the coconut milk. I have very wavy and curly hair and the dryness is always a problem. Finally something inexpensive and natural.

Marisol said...

My hair stylist recommended
I use coconut milk and rise with coconut water to help my hair from over bleaching breakage and shredding.

xen said...

i have been using this method (cocomilk & lemon) for about 6 mo now and it is beautiful. I cut all the perm hair that I had left a few days ago and my hair is so nice now. loving my hair journey (3 years in)

ive also been experimenting too, with condensed milk & cold butter soak for 2 hours, then next day get a blowout with HAIR SERUM in your hair. (Be cheap, any serum will do) get a blowout from a PRO ( You gotta $pend a little tho lol )

Anonymous said...

organic coconut oil